Abdul Hafiz is a citizen of Afghanistan who was held for six and a half years in extrajudicial detention in the United States Guantanamo Bay detainment camps, in Cuba. His Guantanamo Internment Serial Number was 1030. American intelligence analysts estimate he was born in 1961. Abdul Hafiz was repatriated to Afghanistan in December 2009. By March 2010 Abdul Hafiz was reported to have resumed a senior role in the Taliban.
Arrest and detainmentEdit
According to the Associated Press the allegations against Hafiz, in his Combatant Status Review Tribunal, said he worked for a Taliban militia. They state that when he was captured he had in his possession a satellite phone that was "linked to a slaying".
The detainee claimed that he wasn't Abdul Hafiz at all, that his name was really Abdul Qawi. He said he was given the satellite phone by the real Abdul Hafiz, and didn't even know how to use it.
According to the Associated Press he complained about not being able to view the evidence against him, and told his Tribunal: "In our culture, if someone is accused of something, they are shown the evidence."
Release and repatriationEdit
Hafiz's repatriation stirred controversy.
In March 2010 Newsweek magazine reported that Liz Cheney described Hafiz "Obama's first recidivist". National Review reported that Hafiz had been promoted to extort ransoms from charities and other non-governmental organizations that planned aid operations in Afghanistan.
- ↑ list of prisoners (.pdf), US Department of Defense, May 15, 2006
- ↑ The Guantanamo Docket - Abdul Hafiz
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Guantánamo detention census drops to 198  Carol Rosenberg 2009-12-19
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Gitmo detainee implicated in Red Cross murder transferred to Afghanistan  Thomas Joscelyn 2009-12-23
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Gitmo Prisoner Freed by Obama Administration Reported to Have Rejoined Taliban  2010-03-26
- ↑ Former Gitmo detainee targeting Afghan charities  Thomas Joscelyn, Bill Roggio 2010-03-24
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Sketches of Guantanamo Detainees-Part I, WTOP, March 15, 2006
- ↑ Freed Guantanamo Inmate Likely With Taliban, U.S. Official Says  Jim Bliss 2010-03-27
- ↑ Former Gitmo Detainee, Released by Obama Though Suspected in Red Cross Murder, Rejoins Afghan Taliban . . . to Handle NGOs  Andrew C. McCarthy 2010-03-24
- Abdul Hafiz: the wrong man with a satellite phone Andy Worthington